My Life Verse

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The Great Commission

Matthew 28:19-20 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Friday, January 30, 2009








Yesterday, in the afternoon Leah and I headed to Clarkston for the children's choir.
The children seemed restless. Maybe they were just tired and hungry. We are going to try feeding them before choir each week so that they will not be hungry during the hour that I teach them. It still went well. There is always someone who acts out some and then that person becomes my helper at the front of the class. Some kids actually like the extra attention but for others it embarrasses them and makes them behave.

During choir a man came into the mission. He seemed upset but his English was very poor. He was Burmese. He kept saying something about 911. One of the volunteers and Mr.Bennett were trying to help him but we didn't have anyone there who could translate for him. It was loud and distracting for the children. At one point the man came and wanted me to give him one of the music books. I just smiled and laughed. I am not sure that he really understood what we were doing but he watched the children singing for awhile. Finally Bennett sent him on his way. I ask later if they ever figured out what the problem was. He was extremely upset about living here in the U.S. He hasn't been able to get a job. He has no food or money. He is about to be evicted from his apartment. He kept asking for us to call 911 and have the police fly him back to Burma. Refugee resettlement only provides for new refugees for 3 months. During that time they are suppose to be getting a job. In today's economy with regular Americans losing their jobs many refugees are just not making it. In every home that I have been in this week, I have been ask if I can help them get a job. Even highly educated refugees can't get a job. It is very sad! They are in desperate circumstances. They have come to America because it is the land of opportunity, a place they have heard about and dreamed about and they are struggling emotionally, physically and spiritually. Please pray for the refugees!!

No comments: